Gabby Petito – Missing Case
September 18, 2021 Don Pumphrey, Jr. News & Announcements Social Share
Florida resident and Youtuber Gabby Petito, 22, has been reported as missing by the Suffolk County Police Department. Her parents went to the police in a panic on September 11 around 7:00 pm, after she had not returned home from a trip. She was last seen with her fiancé on an extended road trip. They had recently bought a campervan together, planning on traveling while living on the road. They had been visiting Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park.
Things get dark when the fiancé returned, but Gabby did not. Gabby’s parents had stated that they were in contact with Gabby throughout the entire trip, however, once she hadn’t said anything in multiple days they grew worried.
Gabby’s fiancé, Brian Laundrie, 23, is the main point of interest in the case. He returned to their home on September 1st and Gabby’s parents reported her missing 10 days later. Laundrie hasn’t been charged with any crime yet, and he is refusing to speak to the police or anyone regarding Gabby’s disappearance.
As time passes police are growing worried, pleading for anyone with information to come forward about her whereabouts.
What We Know So Far
The road trip began in June in New York where Gabby is from. The couple was set to go through Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Wyoming, and end in Florida. This can be complicated over who has jurisdiction over the missing case. North Port police Chief Todd Garrison gave a quote, saying it’s a “multi-jurisdictional case.”
In addition to Gabby going missing, the Moab Police Department are also investigating a double homicide that has taken place in Grand County, which is nearby where Gabby and Brian had an argument in front of the police. The FBI have gotten involved as well, and are working with law enforcement in the Wyoming Teton National Park, which was where Gabby and Brian were the last time she spoke with her mother on August, 25th.
North Port police department fully believe that Brian Laundrie is hiding something or withholding important information about the case. In an interview with CNN, Chief Garrison stated that he thinks Brian has the necessary information and that his family may also hold that same vital information. At the end of the interview Chief Garrison announced that Laundrie is the only confirmed person of interest in the case as of now.
Timeline of Gabby’s Last Whereabouts: June – September
Here is a brief overview and timeline of Gabby’s whereabouts since leaving her North Port, Florida home:
- When Gabby and Laundrie originally embarked on their road trip together.
- Gabby’s parents kept in contact with her on a regular basis.
- She seemed excited to be going on the trip with Laundrie in their white Ford van.
- When the couple reached Moab, Utah, they got into a heated argument. The police were called onto the scene after people witnessed Gabby slapping Brian.
- Descriptions had been made about the couple’s argument turning physical, yet when police got involved said they didn’t want any charges to be filed. Police let them leave without any charges.
- In the last week of August, Gabby’s parents heard from her for the last time on the 30th. However, after they reported her missing, both parents felt as if it wasn’t Gabby that was texting them.
- Laundrie returned to his family home in Florida on the 1st of September, with the white Ford van but without Gabby.
- Gabby’s parents were not able to get in contact with her after almost two weeks, and since they live in New York they decided to reach out to the Suffolk County Police Department in New York.
- The North Port police went to Laundrie’s home to question him and his family but were immediately handed the information of their attorney.
- Gabby’s family attorney gave a news briefing calling on Laundrie or his family with helpful information for the case. He said if they have any decency left, they would help with the investigation or let them know where Gabby was.
- The Moab Police Department released the footage from Gabby and Brian’s altercation.
- Cassie Laundrie, Brian’s sister, spoke with Good Morning America and said she hopes Gabby will return home safely.
The Police Report and Body Cam
The body cam footage of the altercation between Gabby and Brian has recently been released by the Moab Police Department. It is an hour and 17 minutes long, and shows police questioning both Gabby and Brian about the argument.
The video shows Gabby crying while trying to explain that Brian would not let her enter the car until she calmed down. She said that she had severe anxiety and couldn’t remain calm. There was indication that Brian shoved Gabby, but police concluded it was out of defense after she had both slapped and scratched him. Gabby was identified as the primary aggressor and almost charged for domestic abuse. Police finally determined it was more of an emotional break than domestic assault and let the couple go.
Now after the disappearance, the video raises many questions. Gabby’s cousin came forward and said she had never seen her look so stressed out.
Demand for Justice
Protestors have gathered outside of Laundrie’s family home demanding justice for Gabby. People have been seen driving by in golf carts with signs that read “Where is Gabby?” and “Speak up”. As of now, Laundrie has still said nothing to police and the search continues.
If you or anyone you know has information regarding the case or Gabby’s whereabouts, it is imperative to reach out to the FBI’s national tip line at 1-800-629-7171 or use the Bureau’s online electronic tip form.