- Pumphrey Law
- Practice Areas
Criminal Defense Practice Areas
After a criminal accusation or arrest in the Tallahassee area, including Leon County, Franklin County, Gadsden County, Jefferson County, Liberty County and Wakulla County, you should hire an experienced attorney to help you fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
Attorney Don Pumphrey, Jr., has handled thousands of criminal law cases over the past 12 years. Before opening Pumphrey Law, he gained valuable experience working as a law enforcement officer and an Assistant State Attorney for the State Attorney’s office in Pinellas County, Florida.
Although this site has invaluable information regarding numerous criminal charges in Florida, there is no substitute for speaking to an experienced lawyer. Every situation is different. Small details in the case can make a huge different in how it is resolved. Call us for a consultation. The attorneys at Pumphrey Law will help you formulate the best defense to your criminal charge. We can help you find mitigating factors that might lead to an outright dismissal of all charges or at least having the charges reduced substantially.
The attorneys at Pumphrey Law will help you formulate the best defense to your criminal charge. We can help you find exculpatory evidence and mitigating factors that might lead to an outright dismissal of all charges or at least having the charges reduced substantially.
Types of Criminal Charges in Florida
The attorneys at Pumphrey Law take a variety of criminal cases including:
- Drunk Driving / DUI
- Read more about the penalties for a first, second, third or subsequent drunk driving offense under Florida law. Our website also explains the pros and cons of refusing to take a chemical test of your blood, breath, or urine. Read more about enhanced penalties for a BAC over .15 or DUI with property damage.
- Serious Traffic Violations
- Our attorneys represent clients on a variety of serious traffic offenses including fleeing and eluding a law enforcement officer, driving while license suspended as a habitual traffic offender, driving with no valid driver's license, and drunk driving.
- Drug Charges
- Read more about how Florida treats drug charges from simple possession of a controlled substance to more serious charges such as possession with intent to sell or deliver, charged involving delivery or sale of a controlled substance, possession of a drug house, and trafficking or armed trafficking.
- Marijuana Charges
- Florida's laws on marijuana / cannabis / weed are draconian. Any drug conviction, including a misdemeanor conviction for possession of marijuana less than 20 grams carries with it a two-year driver's license revocation. Other serious consequences attach to your right to obtain financial aid or pursue certain higher educational opportunities. Read more about how we aggressively fight these cases to protect our clients.
- Domestic Violence
- Domestic violence charges range from assault to battery to more serious felony charges such as domestic battery by strangulation or with serious bodily injury. Related offenses include interference with a 911 call and child endangerment.
- Violent Crimes
- Crimes of violence including assault, battery, aggravated assault, battery on a law enforcement officer, kidnapping, and sexual battery. Find out more about these serious felony and misdemeanor charges and potential defenses.
- Guns / Firearms / Weapons Charges
- Read more about how we protect individuals charged with firearm or weapon charges including the improper discharge of a firearm, possession of a concealed weapon or firearm, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and more.
- Theft / Shoplifting / Property Crimes
- Crimes against property including petit theft, shoplifting, grand theft, scheme to defraud, and trespass.
- White Collar Crime
- While collar crimes typically involve allegations against a person who is respected in the community and holds a skilled, professional job. These crimes often involve allegations of fraud and regulatory violations. White collar crimes often include a wide range of financial and economic crimes.
- Felony Charges
- Under Florida law, Felony charges are divided into three categories; third-degree felonies punishable by up to five years in Florida State Prison, second-degree felonies punishable by fifteen years in Florida State Prison, and first-degree felonies punishable by thirty years in Florida State Prison.
- Misdemeanor Charges
- Under Florida law, misdemeanor charged are divided into two categories: first-degree felonies are generally punishable by up to 364 days in the county jail while second-degree felonies are generally punishable by up to 60 days in jail. Certain misdemeanor charges such as reckless driving are punishable by up to 90 days in jail while other offenses such as a first DUI is punishable by up to six months in jail.
- Early Termination of Probation
- Find out more about filing a litigating a motion to terminate probation early. The court is likely to grant a motion to terminate probation when at least one-half of the term of probation has been completed, and all special conditions have been completed.
Finding a Criminal Defense Lawyer in Tallahassee, FL
We have the experience to help you fight your case. After a criminal accusation, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. Never talk to a law enforcement officer about a criminal accusation until after you have retained an attorney.
We are experienced with the tactics used by the Leon County Sheriff's Office, the Tallahassee Police Department, and other local law enforcement agencies in the surrounding areas.
We represent clients at every stage of the case. Contact Pumphrey Law today for a consultation about your criminal charges at (850) 681-7777.
This article was last updated on Wednesday, September 15, 2016.
Attorney Don Pumphrey Jr. is a former prosecutor, former law enforcement officer, and a successful and experienced criminal defense attorney.